Uluhou ʻO Hakalau



Uluhou ʻO Hakalau is a 24 acre parcel of land at 200-300 ft elevation on the North/South Hilo district boundary On the Big Island of Hawaiʻi. The goals for this project are to seamlessly incorporate agriculture, Hawaiian culture, resource conservation, genetic preservation, sustainability and pono on this ʻāina. This blog is meant to document and share this journey to all interested, especially our 'Ohana.


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Work trade

This past Friday I was able to do a fencing job for Kuʻulei who will let us use his tractor mower in return.  I spent 6 hours repalcing 150 feet of barbed wire and redoing an H brace(took longer than I thought).
I spun past our ʻaina and saw that one koaiʻa from the first planting was 30 inches tall.  I was stoked to see such good growth in just 2 months.  The grass and weeds are coming on strong, and I am planning to mow in early April.
On Sunday Uncle Kekoa and I attended a revitalizing ʻulu workshop in Puna.  It got me pumped on ʻulu and the potential for good on our ʻaina.  Hopefully interest grows as more people grow this important food.  Hopefully there will soon be a place in Hawaii for farmers to process their ʻulu into a gluten free flour.  I will need to find a way to acquire the ʻulu varieties we need to have fruit year round.  I met some good people and got a really good feeling there.  I shared some koaiʻa keikis and brought home 2 ʻulu from Puna(Hawaiian variety I think).  Really good experience, Houlu ka ʻulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment