Uluhou ʻO Hakalau



Uluhou ʻO Hakalau is a 24 acre parcel of land at 200-300 ft elevation on the North/South Hilo district boundary On the Big Island of Hawaiʻi. The goals for this project are to seamlessly incorporate agriculture, Hawaiian culture, resource conservation, genetic preservation, sustainability and pono on this ʻāina. This blog is meant to document and share this journey to all interested, especially our 'Ohana.


Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting ready for more trees

This weekend(1/28-1/30) we were able to get out to Hakalau 3 days.  Here's what we got done.

Friday- I was able to meet with my co-worker who runs a cattle ranch.  He was nice enough to come out to Hakalau and give me his opinion on using cattle to maintain the bottom section of the property.  We decided that using electric fencing would not be a good idea and that we should wait until we have a high quality hog wire fence before using animals to graze.  I was also able to cut and lay out a bunch of weed mat.

Saturday-  Jake met me in the morning and we cut up some weed mat.  We now have more than enough prepared for the 500 trees that we have ready for out planting.  Kekua arrived with lunch and we went through the areas designated for kalo.  We had a good time planting ~300 huli(30 piko uaua, the rest lehua).  We have about 200 more huli that Kekua will plant some time this week.  While planting we talked about goals for kalo production and the alternative farming methods that we want to employ.  We are very excited about this endeavor.  We hope we can succeed in collecting and maintaining 5-10 valuable maoli strains and starting a taro breeding program, all while producing the highest quality poi.  I do not know of anyone else incorporating kalo into a native reforestation plan and kekua and I are thankful for the opportunity to try it out.  We were lucky to get a good rain today to help the kalo get established.
     kalo varieties     kalo breeding

Sunday-Lahela and I drove out to Hakalau and layed out some weed mats.  Mom and Uncle Timmy were nice enough to watch Hāwelelani so that we could get some work done.  We prepared enough mats for ~300 koaiʻa.  Earlier in the week I purchased wire to make some pins.  I think we found the right length and design for pins strong enough to withstand some decent wind.

I hope to do a koaia out planting this Saturday 2/6.  If I can lay out more weed mat I would like to plant 500 trees.  I hope this date will work for everyone, but we can postpone if need be.

I am curious to see what the property looks like after our unusually heavy rains today.  Hopefully there was not too much runoff with all the bare dirt.  We are reforesting this ʻāina to prevent this very scenario, but are at the mercy of the rain until the trees get established.

Mahalo everyone for your help and hopefully we can have a successful planting day this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment